Strategy of development
STRATEGY OF DEVELOPMENT
of Russian International Academy for Tourism
Mission of Russian International Academy for Tourism
Russian International Academy for Tourism (RIAT) is a leading Russian educational and scientific center of international level, member of European leading international association with the main focus on the quality, vitality, and public standing of hospitality and tourism education (EURHODIP), participant of UNESCO UNITWIN network and knowledge network of the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and other international organizations.
The mission of RIAT involves:
• promoting the development of international and domestic tourism, aimed at the economic, social and cultural development of the state and society, international understanding and cooperation;
• the organization and facilitation of the educational process, based on the policy of the state, taking into account the general trends in the development of the world educational system, and representing a harmonious unity of training and education;
• the innovative development of the university and its branches based on the study and satisfaction of the demands of consumers of educational services and the training of specialists demanded by the market, who makes constantly updated qualified requirements for them arising from the modern demands of the tourism industry and hospitality;
• improvement and updating of the educational, methodological, scientific facilitation and staffing of the educational process, as well as the structure of RIAT and its branches in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Law “On Education in the Russian Federation” (Federal Law No. 273 of December 29, 2012) in 2014;
• further development of theoretical and applied scientific research in the field of tourism, recreation and professional tourism education, the formation of a long-term and sustainable scientific base of the Academy, periodic updating of objectives, programs and long-term planning of scientific schools, in the scientific support of educational structures for all levels of education (undergraduate, graduate (Bachelor), postgraduate (Master), additional education);
• improving the competitiveness of RIAT, to ensure high responsibility of the faculty and staff of the Academy, for the development of multi-level professional tourism education, and constantly improving its quality based on modern scientific, methodological and informational support;
• the development and improvement of sustainable relations with international organizations, with leading foreign universities in order to ensure the entry of RIAT into the European and world educational space, in the development and implementation of joint international educational projects
The mission of RIAT is reflected in its motto: "Professional tourism education for peace and development".
Strategic Directions of Development
of Russian International Academy for Tourism
In order to maintain the status of RIAT as the leading Russian educational and scientific center of international level, RIAT undertakes to carry out in the period of 2018-2023 the following strategic directions of development:
• improving the quality of professional training of tourist personnel in accordance with modern requirements and requirements of the tourism field of activity;
• development of scientific and innovative activities in RIAT and its branches;
• informatization and creation of a system of distance learning (e-learning) of students, retraining and advanced training of tourism personnel with the active participation of RIAT Central Tourism Courses;
• expansion of the Academy's interaction in the international sphere, implementation of joint projects with international organizations and leading foreign universities in the field of professional tourism education;
• improvement of the management system, strengthening and development of the material and technical base of RIAT.
Objectives and tasks arising from the strategic directions of development of RIAT
I. Improving the quality of professional training of tourism personnel in accordance with modern requirements of the tourism field of activity:
a) Improving the model of professional tourism education:
• analysis of the main development trends of the world and domestic Russian tourism market, novelties and innovations in the field of tourism and adaptation of educational programs to realities and possible future changes, development of the content of new profiles in the levels of training (undergraduate, graduate (Bachelor), postgraduate (Master)) in accordance with the needs of the labor market;
• annual update of the variable parts of the main educational programs in the areas of vocational training (elective courses, electives), the development and inclusion of special competencies in the main educational programs that guarantee the quality of professional education, the updating of control and measurement materials for academic disciplines to assess the level of mastery of students in professional competencies;
• raising the level of general cultural and professional training of students (determining the average score for assessing students’ mastery of general cultural competences (annually) and the average score of the final state attestation of graduates, bringing them to 4.8 points on a five-point scale), increasing the percentage of graduates' employment and professional support;
• conclusion of contracts with organizations and enterprises for carrying out all types of student practice in accordance with the directions and profiles of training, involvement of practicing teachers in the educational process, bringing this indicator to 30% of the total number of faculty members of RIAT and its branches;
• establishing partnerships with Russian specialized universities, expanding inter-university cooperation in terms of the development and implementation of joint scientific and educational programs, training of scientific and pedagogical personnel, advanced training of teaching staff, borrowing innovative technologies in professional education;
• expanding the range of educational programs: development and implementation of the technology of a combined training system (distance learning), improving the system of second higher education; development of additional education through updating the range of short-term certification programs and courses, training and modernization of the model of professional education in the campus;
• use of flexible tuition schemes for students of all levels of training (the introduction of an annual rector's scholarship, interaction with banks in the implementation of preferential credit programs for training).
b) development of scientific and methodological support of the educational process:
• systematic updating of methodological support of the main educational programs in all areas of training with the involvement of social partners in the development of curricula;
• improving the quality of methodological materials ensuring the implementation of the main educational programs: annual update of the content of teaching materials, the development and publication of textbooks, teaching aids, and methodological recommendations on all types of educational activities in all areas of training; annual contests among faculty members for the best methodological manual, and textbook;
• periodic updating of materials for independent work of students, the creation of electronic versions, placing them on the Academy website for free access of students in RIAT;
• formation of a library fund that meets the needs of the educational process and scientific research of the Academy, its annual renewal by 20 percent to ensure implementation of the main educational programs in all areas and training profiles, the creation and annual update of the electronic catalog of educational literature, further development of the electronic library;
• improving the quality of graduate qualification works performed by students, expanding their subjects in accordance with the Consolidated List of Research Programs of the RIAT for 2018-2023, introducing and using the anti-plagiarism system to check the originality of the graduate qualification works, placing them on the Academy website;
• expansion of the practice of performing graduate qualification works on a contractual basis, on a specific topic, recommended by tourist enterprises and hotel complexes, regional authorities of the tourism industry. Annual evaluation of the results of the practical use of graduate qualification works, encouraging the most effective scientific project managers and implementing students.
c) updating the content and technologies of educational work aimed at solving the problems of vocational guidance and professional development of specialists by:
• work with schools in the framework of social projects for conducting electives and tourism-oriented circles, organizing tourist excursion activities in schools, carrying out career guidance events in the framework of pre-university education and periodic promotional activities;
• giving professional orientation to educational work with students and applicants for entry;
• development of student self-government, expanding student participation in socially significant activities and decision-making processes on issues (problems) of the educational process, the organization of household, sports and cultural work;
• expanding the participation of RIAT students in the activities of public organizations of Moscow and Moscow region, in creative contests and festivals, in volunteer movement and charity events, at exhibitions and forums, in scientific conferences;
• continuation of preventive work to prevent cases of drug addiction, alcoholism, and AIDS among students of RIAT. In order to organize psychological counseling and preventive care for students, to intensify the work of the social psychologist's office, conducting psychological lectures and development training, enhancing the role of RIAT Student Council in these issues.
• compulsory planned participation of RIAT students in mastering the qualifications of organizers of amateur tourism, guides, instructors and guides, guides and interpreters at tourism and recreation facilities with issuing appropriate certificates;
• developing student visiting programs for the period of study at RIAT of major cultural and historical sites of Moscow, Moscow Region and other tourist destinations, carrying out on a planned basis of the off-premise educational and methodological activities directly in tourist facilities;
• assessing the state of educational work at the Academy through annual surveys of students, surveys followed by an analysis of the activities of departments, group supervisors, tutors, and faculty;
• active use of the existing material base of the Academy for holding contests, festivals, conferences, sports events, for the work of creative associations, for holding intercollegiate events.
II. Development of research and innovation:
a) the formation of a long-term and sustainable scientific base of RIAT, focused on the further development of theoretical and applied research in the field of tourism, recreation, economics, professional tourism education and other scientific fields:
• maintaining business relations with the federal and regional legislative and executive authorities, with relevant ministries and departments in order to expand the expert participation of RIAT in the assessment and implementation of target tourism and educational programs and projects. An increase in the number of joint projects (cost accounting contracts) by 2019 no less than 4 times;
• development of scientific, pedagogical and methodical schools of the Academy, annual updating of goals, programs and planning of activities of scientific schools, periodicals of scientific publications and methodological materials based on the results of their work;
• ensuring the sustainable work of dissertation councils at RIAT, improving the quality and scientific novelty of submitted for the defense of works for the degree;
b) the implementation of research programs of the Academy:
• annual determination of the practical significance and relevance of research results in RIAT, updating and clarifying the research topics within the framework of the Consolidated List of Research Programs of the RMAT for 2018-2023;
• creation of problem research laboratories (research centers) based on interaction with scientific institutions of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), state branch academies of science, international organizations and foreign universities, regional authorities of the tourism industry, etc .;
• preparation for publication and publication of the results of scientific research, a significant increase in the number of articles published in journals and publications recommended by the Higher Attestation Commission, maintaining the corresponding status of the scientific and practical journal “Bulletin of RIAT”;
• implementation of the content of the research activities of RIAT in the framework of international, regional scientific and scientific-practical forums, conferences with the participation of prominent figures of politics, science, culture, tourism, representatives of the executive branch and public organizations;
c) scientific support of the activities of educational structures of the Academy for all levels and types of education (undergraduate education, graduate (Bachelor), postgraduate (Master), additional education):
• an increase in the number of Master's programs in combination with the practical orientation of Master's theses, their interrelation with the directions of research of scientific schools of RIAT;
• continuing cooperation with the State Academy of Sciences of the Russian Academy of Education (RAE) on the basis of joint planning of basic scientific research on the problems of vocational education, the training of scientific and pedagogical personnel, the involvement of leading RAE scientists to supervise and manage scientific schools, to work as experts in mastering innovative technologies of RIAT as members of state attestation commissions, to participate in the work of scientific-practical conferences;
• continuing cooperation with scientific institutions of the Russian Academy of Sciences, including the development of target programs for the future development of basic scientific research in the field of tourism and recreation, the formation of tourist and recreational clusters, and scientific support for professional tourism education in the context of globalization.
III. Informatization and development of e-learning in RIAT and its branches:
a) creation of a unified information system of RIAT, the introduction of e-learning for students:
• expanding the scope of the primary activity of RIAT, the use of distance learning technologies in education in accordance with modern world trends, taking into account the increasing demand for quality educational services, more efficient use of the scientific and educational potential of the Academy, overcoming territorial barriers to learning, increasing the competitiveness of RIAT educational product;
• development and implementation of distance learning programs at all levels of professional tourism education, a flexible combination of regular and distance learning;
• transition to a wider use of e-learning publications, textbooks, teaching aids, selling books in digital format;
• formation of a specialized electronic library, creation of an electronic catalog of electronic publications;
• creating an e-learning system at the Central Tourist Courses, developing appropriate standards and quality control procedures for distance learning programs, an effective mechanism for self-financing of this form of education;
• approval of the program of step-by-step implementation of the distance learning development strategy in the system of the Central Tourist Courses of RIAT;
• raising the level of preparation of the faculty of RIAT and its branches as a necessary condition for the development of a competitive teacher who knows how to build and carry out a person-oriented educational process, ready for continuous self-education and self-improvement;
• introduction of a video conferencing system in order to attract Russian and international specialists for lectures to students, and to broadcast open lectures by leading RIAT scientists to branch students.
b) work on an ongoing basis with international, federal and regional media to reflect the educational and scientific activities of RIAT, to demonstrate the relevance of graduates of the Academy and its branches in the tourist labor market.
IV. Expansion of the interaction of RIAT in the international sphere
a) improving relations with international organizations:
• development of cooperation and participation in the work of international organizations regulating and coordinating tourism activities and professional tourism education:
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO);
- United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO);
- International Organization of Social Tourism (OITS);
- International Association of Scientific Experts on Tourism (AIEST);
- World Association of Hotel and Tourist Education (AMFORHT);
- European Hotel Schools Association (EURHODIP);
- World Federation of Hydrotherapy and Climatotherapy accredited with the World Health Organization (WHO).
• Participation of representatives of RIAT in the work of congresses, forums, conferences, seminars, exhibitions, training courses and other events held by relevant international organizations;
b) development of relations with leading foreign educational institutions with the aim of RIAT entering the European and world educational space:
• wide participation in inter-university cooperation, creation of joint educational programs, establishment of partnerships with relevant universities in the scientific and educational fields of activity;
• development and implementation of joint international educational programs (Bachelor, Master):
- with the Vatel Institute (France);
- with the University of Milan Bicocca (Italy);
- with the Institute for Research and Higher Education in Tourism (IREST) at the University of Paris I Pantheon-Sorbonne;
- with the Pelegrino Artusi Institute (Italy);
- with the School of Culinary Excellence "Casa Artusi" (Italy);
- with the National School of Administration (EHA) (France).
• continuing search for foreign partners for the implementation of joint Master’s programs, an increase in the number of foreign students in the Academy;
• preparation of qualified scientific and pedagogical personnel for teaching in a magistracy a number of disciplines in foreign languages, including through internships in foreign universities;
• increasing the number of undergraduates, graduate students and postgraduate students sent to study at foreign universities working under joint programs with RIAT.
V. Improving the management system and strengthening the material and technical base of RIAT:
a) development of the Concept of personnel policy aimed at the continuous improvement of professional training of the teaching staff and other employees of the Academy:
• development of innovative technologies for teaching students, undergraduates, graduate students, mandatory certification of teachers, including on the level of language training, systematic retraining and advanced training through internships, trainings in both Russian and foreign universities, in enterprises of the tourist industry and hospitality;
• improvement of the work of the educational-methodical and scientific-methodical councils of RIAT as a means of increasing the level of competence of the heads of departments, heads of structural divisions in the field of innovations in education;
• creating favorable conditions for faculty members working on an ongoing basis, encouraging graduate degrees and titles, writing monographs and teaching aids, material and moral incentives for students, undergraduates, graduate students, a differentiated approach to the pay of scientific leaders;
• support, including material support, innovative methods of work of the faculty according to the results of university competitions, audits, accreditation checks;
• attracting talented young graduate students from the Academy to educational and scientific activities, creating a reserve for the nomination for teaching, attracting promising graduates as alternates for classes and seminars, to create a group of professors-mentors to work with novice teachers, together with the Council of Young Scientists, to contribute to the continuous growth of qualifications and pedagogical experience of young people;
• implementation of qualifying selection, training and incentives for full-time teaching staff who are able to develop teaching and methodological support, to teach in English in international Master’s programs;
• sending on a permanently planned basis teachers of RIAT for internships in specialized tourist organizations to study the modern experience in organizing tourist activities and hospitality with the subsequent use of the information obtained in the process of developing curricula and organizing practical exercises;
• implementation of a consistent personnel policy, combining measures of social protection of employees with a system of selection and evaluation of the results of work and remuneration of academic and administrative personnel;
• improvement and all-round development of intra-university relations of RIAT and its branches, updating the forms of teaching, methodological and scientific support, raising the qualifications of teaching staff working in the branches;
• constant monitoring of compliance with accreditation requirements for the level of the teaching staff working at RIAT and its branches, taking the necessary measures to preserve the most trained and experienced professors in the structure of the Academy, strengthening the teaching staff with talented young specialists ;
• planned involvement of faculty members in the annual advanced training and retraining:
- within their own university (RIAT) - at least 20 percent of the number of faculty members in the Academy and its branches;
- in other Russian universities focused on the preparation of tourist personnel - 10 percent of the number of teaching staff;
- in foreign universities that train tourist personnel in conjunction with RIAT training programs for students and undergraduates - up to 10 percent of the number of teaching staff involved in international projects;
b) optimization of financial, economic and business activities:
• formation of a financial reserve for the prospective development of the Academy due to:
• optimization of the structure of RIAT, the performance of contractual work, the activities of the Central Tourist Courses, the receipt of grants as a result of participation in international, All-Russian and departmental competitions;
- improving career guidance activities, increasing the admission of applicants for all forms of education, optimizing the cost of teaching students, undergraduates and graduate students, depending on the situation on the educational market, through the introduction of new programs and teaching methods
- constant attention to the issues of economy and thrift at each workplace due to the rational use of technology and energy resources and other sources;
• strengthening the material and technical base of RIAT by:
- equipping the departments with modern laboratory installations, language laboratories, multimedia (LMC) and subject rooms, the Internet;
- the introduction of an electronic document management system;
- increasing the efficiency of using the areas belonging to the Academy;
- accommodation in the premises of the Academy of thematic exhibitions, exhibits of culture and tourism for visitors from among the staff and students and a wide range of applicants and their parents;
- systematic renewal of educational and material base.
* * *
Implementation of the strategic directions of development of RIAT for the period of 2018-2023 will be determined by the development of appropriate programs approved by the Academic Council and Rector of Russian International Academy for Tourism, with specific terms (stages), responsible executives and financial and economic support.
Additions and amendments to the Strategy may be made as a result of decisions of the annual conferences of the collective of RIAT following the implementation of approved programs.